Thursday, January 21, 2010

Street Epiphany: Vladmir and Estragon in Bellingham



 [ source ]

Waiting for the light to change at the corner of Magnolia and Railroad, I overheard this conversation between two obviously down-and-out older gentleman:
First Guy: "You are not going to believe this, man, the other day I went to one of those psychics and she told me some shit that I just couldn't believe. I mean, how she knew this shit. So, check this out, I wanna make sure, you know, so I go to another psychic and she told me the exact same things. Blew me away, man.

Second Guy: "So what sort of shit did they tell you?"

First Guy: "Check this out: they both said that I was going through some really hard times. And they both said that things were going to get better real soon -"
The light changed. I walked on. Smiling. Seemed like dialogue from a Beckett play. Vladmir and Estragon, waiting for Godot in Bellingham. As I said, both appeared to be homeless: ragtag backpacks, grey dirty clothing. How either of these guys would have enough money to go to not just one psychic, but two, was beyond me. And I am sure there was more to it, but that was enough for me. Made my day.

1 comment:

  1. Waiting for Godot: thats great. There are some real nuggets of wisdom out there: three years ago we in bham were graced with the presence of Eddie Murphy (not THE Eddie Murphy, but a guy named Eddie Murphy). When I met him he was tweaked out on meth, talking about Jesus Ghandi and Buddha!

    ReplyDelete